||Ph.D, Post Doctoral training Leuven, Belgium
|Specialization / Discipline
||Horticulture/ Plant Biotechnology
|Salient Research Achievements
- Developed national Musa information database.
- Identified four new Musa species, and a natural tetraploid (ABBB).
- Developed tissue culture protocols for several endangered and near extinct banana landraces and rejuvenation in their natural habitats.
- Identified nutritionally rich banana for minerals and vitamins.
- Developed baseline information on breeding strategies
- Released a high yielding variety, Udhayam
- Developed embryo rescue technique for hybrid regeneration
- Developed in-vitro protocols for multiple shoots and regeneration.
- Developed embryogenic cell suspensions and genetic transformation protocol.
- Transcriptomic studies on BB genome (M.balbisiana)
- Improvement and management of banana genetic resources in the Indian sub continent. (PI)
- Improvement through conventional breeding. (Co-PI)
- Improvement of cv. Grande Naine (Cavendish - AAA) for Fusarium wilt resistance through non-conventional breeding. (Co-PI)
- Development of trait specific markers for fusarium wilt resistance through association mapping studies in banana (Musa spp.) (Co-PI)
- Network project on Transgenic in crops – Banana functional genomics
(Sigatoka & Drought component) (PI)
- Framing crop specific DUS Guidelines for Banana (Musa spp.) (PI)
- Development and Transfer of Technology from Queensland University of Technology to India for Bio fortification and Disease Resistance in Banana ( Phase II)
Component-3: Development of efficient ECS for Rasthali and providing to Indian Partners (PI)
- Improvement of Banana for Small Holder Farmers in the Great Lake Regions of Africa Indian component – Breeding for improved bananas with Fusarium wilt (Fusarium oxysporum f sp. cubense) resistance (PI)
|Area of Interest
||Genetic resources, breeding, in-vitro regeneration, Functional genomics
|Total Research Publications
|Best five Publications
- S.Uma, S. Lakshmi, M. S. Saraswathi, A. Akbar and M. M. Mustaffa. 2012. Plant regeneration through somatic embryogenesis from immature and mature zygotic embryos of Musa acuminata ssp. burmannica. In-Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.—Plant. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.—Plant. 48: 539–545.
- S.Uma, M.S.Saraswathi and P.Durai. 2011. Evidence of new species in India -Musa swarnaphalya and confirmation through morpho-molecular characterization. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 68(2). June: 145-151.
- S.Uma, S. Lakshmi, M. S. Saraswathi, A. Akbar and M. M. Mustaffa. 2010. Embryo rescue and plant regeneration in banana (Musa spp.). Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 105(1):105-110.
- S.Uma, M.S.Saraswathi, S.A.Siva, M.S.Dhivya Vadhana, M.Manickavasagam, P.Durai and A.Lourdusamy, 2008. Diversity and phylogenetic relationships among wild and cultivatedbananas (Silk-AAB) revealed by SSR markers. Journal of Horticultural Science & Biotechnology. 83(2) 239–245.
- Uma,S, R.Selvarajan, S.Sathiamoorthy, A.Ramesh Kumar and P.Durai, 2003. Evaluation of Banana Germplasm for Leaf Industry and their suitability to different production profiles in India. International Plant Genetic Resource Newsletter134:41-44.
- PISANG RAJAH Award.
- Best Research Paper Award
- Girdharilal Chadha Memorial Gold Medal in Fruit Science.
- Kadali Puraskar Award.
- Appreciation Award.
- Fellow of Association for the Improvement in Production and Utilisation of Banana.
- Fellow of Horticulture Society of India.
- Fellow of Indian Society for Plant Genetic Resources.