|Specialization / Discipline
||Plant Breeding and Genetics
|| firstname.lastname@example.org, Backiyarani.S@icar.gov.in
|Salient Research Achievements
- Developed Protocols for RNA isolation from banana root and Pulp.
- Developed genome specific markers to differentiate the AA, BB genome and inter specific hybrids.
- Identified R genes as Molecular mechanism on Musa-P.coffeae interaction.
- Identified EST-SSR markers for P.coffeae resistant and susceptible cultivars.
- Full length genes of nematode resistant/ defense genes like NBS –LRR R gene and chitinase were isolated.
- Developed Musa EST-SSR database.
- Improvement of banana through conventional breeding (PI)
- Production of doubled haploids for improvement of bananas (Musa spp.) (Co-PI)
- Development and Transfer of Technology from Queensland University of Technology to India for Bio fortification and Disease Resistance in Banana ( Phase II)
Component-1: Biofortification and evaluation of Indian banana with pro Vitamin A (PVA) constructs(PI)
- Functional genomics for Sigatoka resistance in banana- (Network project on transgenic crops). (Co-PI)
- Framing DUS guidelines for banana funded by PPV&FR. (Co-PI)
|Area of Interest
||Functional Genomics, Breeding, Plant Genetic transformation
|Total Research Publications
|Best five Publications
- S. Backiyarani, S. Uma, P. Varatharaj and M. S. Saraswathi (2012). Mining of EST-SSR Markers of Musa and Their Transferability Studies Among the Members of Order the Zingiberales. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. DOI 10.1007/s12010-012- 9975-2.
- S. Backiyarani, S. Uma, G. Arunkumar, M. S. Saraswathi and P. Sundararaju (2013). Cloning and characterization of NBS-LRR resistance gene analogues of Musa spp. and their expression profiling studies against Pratylenchus coffeae African Journal of Biotechnology. 12 (2): accepted.
- S.Backiyarani, P. Sundararaju, M. Mayilvaganan, S Uma, MS Saraswathi, and G Arunkumar (2013). Time Course expression studies during Musa – Pratylenchus coffeae interaction” Indian Journal of Horticulture 70 (2): accepted
- Jebasingh, T., Kasin Yadunandam, Backiyarani, S., Srividhya, S., Krishnaswamy, S. and Usha, R. (2011). Molecular modeling and conformational analysis of native and refolded/viral genome-linked protein of cardamom mosaic virus. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics 48 (5): 336-340
- Kole, C. Bode, A. O., Kole, P.,. Rao, V.K., Bajpai,A., Backiyarani, S., Singh,J., Elanchezhian, R. and Abbott, A.G. (2012). The First Genetic Map and Positions of Major Fruit Trait Loci of Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia) Journal of Plant Science and Molecular Breeding 1: 1-6.
- Postdoctoral Fellow.
- Research Associate ship.
- CSIR-Senior Research Fellowship.
- Dr.K.Ramiah Medal.
- Dr.M.S.Swaminathan Award.
- TNAU Ph.D. Merit Fellowship.
- TNAU M.Sc .(Ag) Merit Fellowship.
- TNAU B.Sc. (Ag) Merit Fellowship.